Thursday, May 1, 2008

Harlot at Webs

Sunday was Yarn Harlot day at Webs in Northampton. It was worth $20 in gas to drive there and hear her speak. It's like stand-up comedy with a knitting theme. Her style reminds me of George Burns routines which I've seen on TV, where he just stands on a stage and tells stories and you are laughing softly all the way through, and then he leisurely gets to the punch line and it's just hilarious. Her point this year was that knitting induces a meditative state (Theta brain waves) which lets your mind go free and stimulates creativity and stress-relief. It's marvelous how she can make that so funny. Isn't it just great to learn that something you enjoy and results in beautiful things to wear or give away is also good for you! And didn't we learn last year that chocolate and wine are also good for your health? We can eat chocolate, drink wine and knit all at the same time, and become Super Heroes. The chocolate and wine has to be in moderation of course, or we'd all be fat drunks, and then how would we knit?

Here's a picture I took in a store window on Main Street in Northampton. You can see my reflection taking the photo. I had not heard of this movie but I definitely want to find out more about it.


Here's a picture of Stephanie signing her book. I took this picture because of the Red Sox jacket the woman is wearing, but now looking at it I see she has my hair, so maybe we can pretend it's me. I actually got a pre-signed copy this time - didn't want to wait in line for over an hour and she signed my book last year anyway.


The second photo is some of the mob scene at the Webs store after Stephanie's talk (which was at the Calvin Theatre) - you could hardly move in the aisles. Fortunately I got there before her talk when the shop was relatively empty and scored some beautiful pink yarn for my planned sweater, at half price! I would show a picture of it, but I stupidly dropped water all over my camera on the way home, and now it isn't working very well, to say the least. I did manage to recover the pictures I took, as you can see above, but I can't take any more until the camera dries out (I hope!)


1 comment:

knitabit2 said...

Hi knitsnowandthen....I met you following the Stephanie McPhee, Yarn Harlot stand-up show in Northampton. We were walking back to Webs and you shared information on the ravelry site. Thank you very much. It is very nice...almost too much for me now because I am not very proficient on the computer. I have yet to figure out how to get pictures on the computer! I'm hoping my son will help me! I love all your beautiful projects and you have a lovely grand daughter to model some of the fashions! No grandchildren for me yet, two sons 21 and 22years. Thanks again and maybe I'll drop you a line now and then. Susan, otherwise known as knitabit2.