Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Cobblestone Coming Along

I'm getting near to the top of the Cobblestone sweater. It got a little complicated at the armholes as you had to add on the stitches from the sleeves to the stitches of the body, and then start doing short rows. The short rows shorten the yoke of the sweater (the garter stitch area) without obvious decreases at the neck - neat idea. All of this is done on one big circular needle, which avoids a lot of seaming.












The only "seam" I'll have to do is some kitchener stitch at the armholes. You can see this opening in the photo below.

I don't like the way you have to constantly stop and move the stitches around on a circular needle (especially since there were a LOT of them in this pattern). You have to do this with straight needles too but somehow it seems less interruptive. And at this point it's a huge amount of knitting to be holding in my lap, and there isn't any lap left to hold my book. But the end is near and Hubster might even get to wear it once or twice in April.

I've finished the Rowan Kidsilk lace scarf. I think it came out beautifully and I've gotten compliments when I wear it, but it was difficult to knit. The yarn kept sticking to itself or dropping off the needles, so I had to keep counting the stitches every few rows to make sure I still had 38, not 40 or 35. I had to frog back several time before I learned to become REALLY careful when knitting the lace row and row after that. It was a challenge for me, as I haven't done much lace knitting, especially with this fuzzy type of lace yarn, and I succeeded! Yay for me!
Also on the needles now is a diagonal striped scarf from some KW that was in my stash. The left edge looks a little lumpy but I can straighten that out with blocking - it's not mistakes in the increases.
FO anxiety is beginning - what will I do when the Cobblestone is finished? I need another big project.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Go, Cobblestone! You're almost there. My dad loves his.

cindy said...

Cobblestone is on my to do list if I ever finish all my current WIP's.
I'm looking forward to seeing your finished. Your F and f scarf is lovely.