Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hooray for the Internet!

If anyone out there is reading this, I want to shout out loud and clear for the fun I'm having lately with knitting that is all due to the Internet. And it's all been building ever since I had the idea of looking up something knitting-related on Google (can't even remember what). That led me to the blogs - so many!!! - and I happened on Audioknit's blog which mentioned the Ocean States Knitting Guild, which is near enough for me to belong. I've met so many nice women there, with new ideas and beautiful knitted inspirations, and some of them have blogs. That gave me the incentive to start my own (and here it is). And then there's Ravelry, also mentioned by one of the Guild members. So I have my own Ravelry notebook now, which prompted me to actually look at my stash (boxes in the cellar closet!) and put it in some kind of order and make some decisions about what to knit with it. And from Ravelry, I joined two more groups (and probably more later) - one of the groups is British Knitters, which keeps me in touch vicariously with a land I've loved since childhood (I've always wanted to be Miss Marple, living in a small town in the English countryside with a vicar and a pub, and probably a local knitting shop). Hubster and I have been there twice now - not enough! Through Ravelry I found someone else who lives in my town (but I haven't convinced her yet to attend a Guild meeting.) The Internet connections keep spreading outward wider and wider. And I haven't even mentioned all the patterns and technique instruction available. And marvelous yarns to buy ---- and on and on.

In re-reading this post, I have discovered just how many parentheses I use (not to mention exclamation points!!) - and there's one more of each.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

And I'm glad you happened upon my blog, Sherill, and have joined the guild, and now started blogging. The virtual knitting world is a fun place to explore and gather new ideas.
The only bad thing about being Miss Marple is all those dead bodies that keep cropping up!

Marcy said...

Dead bodies aside, the next time you find yourself in a small village in England with vicar and a pub and a knitting shop, be sure to blog about it all so that we can all "visit" with you!! That would be so cool!! It's truly amazing how many people you will "meet" on the internet and the information that you will be able to access. And use those parentheses and exclamation points to your heart's content -- I find myself using dashes all the time -- it's just my thing! Don't run with those pointy sticks!! .......Marcy

Devorah said...

Welcome of board! Your ornament is absolutely adorable.