Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's Time to Visit the Kids

Today is devoted to getting ready to leave for 2 weeks tomorrow morning. Water the plants, do the laundry, pack, feed the birds. I'll be visiting with Son #1 and Grand-daughter #1 in Washington (state) first (these pictures were taken last year), then with Daughter #2 and Grand-daughter #5 in Los Angeles, then it's an Elderhostel trip beginning in Ventura, to the Channel Islands off the California coast and San Simeon.


Last week I finished a book by Debbie Macomber - one of the three books about a yarn shop in Seattle - and I found out she lives about 20 miles from my son. I checked out her website and blog, and I hope to buy one of her knitting pattern books at her LYS, and of course some yarn too. The book, "A Good Yarn", was a good story and Debbie keeps you turning the pages.

Plans are to drive to Mount St. Helens on this trip, also visit the Seattle Museum of Art which was closed for renovations last time I was there. The construction of the Seattle Library really does look like that Koolhas hat designed by Jared. I'll also be shopping in Poulsbo, which has 2 yarn shops, 2 antiques shops and a couple of nice spots for lunch, all on the same street - the perfect town in my opinion.

No plans for what to do in LA yet. Daughter #2 has been threatening to take me to Disneyland for years (she says I'll love it, but I really have no interest in long lines and people dressed up as cartoon characters). Last year on the day she had designated as Disney Day, it actually rained for the first time in months. So this year we'll see - perhaps the heavens will open again. The big draw for that leg of the trip is Grand-daughter #5, who is almost 5 and cute, cute, cute. The lilac sundress I'm making is for her, and I'm bringing the part I've finished (the skirt) with me so I can fit it on her and finish the top. I hope she doesn't grow out of it too fast.

Lastly, D#2 will drive me up to Ventura for the Elderhostel portion of the trip. I've signed up for a room-mate (pot-luck), so I hope I get someone compatible. Coincidentally, and very happily, the Ventura flea market which is held only every couple of months is on that day, so we'll both be shoppin' til we droppin' before she brings me to the hotel.

The weather forecast is only calling for 60s in LA at this time of year, and 40s in the Seattle area, so I'm packing stuff much warmer than I had originally planned. Lots of layers.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sounds like you have lots of fun activities lined up. I am not a Disney fan either but did go to Disneyworld some years ago with the family and had a good time in spite of myself. Enjoy, and hope you can post along you journey!