Friday, February 10, 2012

Look What I Found!

I found this in an antique shop last weekend. The beautiful embossed cover caught my eye, and I like old sentimental autograph books, so I picked it up. The covers immediately fell off in my hand, but then I got a look at the pages.
Instead of pages of autographs, I found pages of crochet patterns. The patterns had been cut from magazines from the late 1900s, and pasted onto the page of the book. There are dozens of patterns, mostly crochet, some knitting, and mostly for laces and edgings. The directions are a little hard to decipher, as they don't use the current terminology. (Example: knit 3 rows plain, then widen.) I'd like to try a few of the patterns - I've put this on my list of "things to do someday". Maybe I'll try the "crocheted mop for dusting pictures" or the "mile-a-minute lace".

2 comments:

calicokitty6 said...

What a wonderful find!

Kristen said...

How cool is that? I often wonder how knitters and crocheters of the past ended up with recognizable finished projects, since the pattern wording was so obscure. Looking forward to seeing your dust mop. :-)