Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Lindos - Town and Acropolis

The acropolis of Lindos lies above the modern town, a natural fortification occupied successively by the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Knights of St. John and the Turkish Ottomans. (I copied this picture from the Internet.) This is the picture I took myself through the coach window as we approached Lindos.
A closer look at the town, all dazzlingly white buildings set close together on crazy winding streets. It was a long, hot climb to the top of the acropolis. Some tourists chose to go up by donkey - our group all walked. Many of the town women were selling their needlework on the slopes as we walked up. The embroidery was extraordinary but I didn't have time to choose anything or negotiate prices. Hundreds of steps up! And it was exceedingly hot! Approaching the fortification walls. The red dot is a person. My handbag marks the spot where I sat and rested about 3/4 of the way up. I needed the shade as much as I needed to rest my legs. The view from the top was worth every bit of the climb. Here's Steve taking a photo. The acropolis is a jumble of all the different succeeding civilizations who occupied this bit of land. The walk down passed by a number of small restaurants and shops. We stopped to get an orange juice and a beer. It was the best orange juice I'd ever had, and not just because I was so hot and thirsty. The wall of the restaurant held family pictures of the four generations who have owned it. Protection was guaranteed by these two items - a religious icon and beside it, the ever-present blue and white symbol of the evil eye.

No comments: