I spotted this little purse several months ago at the antique shop where I work, and it fascinated me because I identify the technique. It is exactly the same on both inside and outside, and threads seemed to be carried over under the stitches so there are no floats. I finally broke down and spent some money to buy it. After puzzling over it some more, doing some research, and still not knowing what technique it is, I sent these pictures over to Piecework magazine and asked for help. I also wanted to know what country it might have come from and how old it is. I thought it might be European from the 19th century, but wasn't sure.

This is a close-up of the stitches.

Karen Brock from Piecework responded to my question, and told me it is tapestry crochet. She had no further information on its possible history, but asked permission to include it in a future issue of Piecework and maybe one of their subscribers would have more knowledge of it. So we may be seeing it in the magazine later this year. Cool!!
1 comment:
What a pretty little purse. I've always thought that someday I'd like to start a vintage purse and/or hat collection. How cool that it may be featured in Piecework!
Post a Comment