Thursday, January 6, 2011

Millesgarden

The famous sculptor, Carl Milles, is well known for his commissioned monumental sculptures and fountains in many European and US cities. He and his wife became US citizens in 1945. His home on the island of Lidingo near Stockholm, where he died in 1955, is now a museum, with many small-scale examples of his work and some copies of the larger sculptures. This statue appears to be saluting one of the large ferries which took us to Finland later in the day.The house was low and rambling, and surrounded by walls and ponds, so it was difficult to get a photo of the entire building. I loved the color of this wall with its arrangement of small scupltures.
Here are some of us listening to the guide giving us a brief history of Mr. Milles and his home.
Back near Stockholm, I took this picture of an elegant balconied house. And this house had everything I like, including the ever-present lilacs and a Swedish flag. But not everyone lives in beautiful homes, there are plenty of ordinary apartments.

No comments: