Monday, October 4, 2010

Wandering Kolding Castle

This is the Koldinghus. a medieval castle in Kolding of lovely old pink brick. It is a rough square with an interior courtyard - this photo shows only the side you approach from the parking lot. It has been partially restored (the brown area), and much of the building is a museum for Danish furniture, pottery and silver with simple white plaster walls. We have a few hours of free time in Kolding, and I spent most of mine just wandering around the castle - I think I covered every inch. The entrance is through a gate on the right side, and these are views from near the gate looking down at the river which the castle guarded.
This is the courtyard seen from the other side of the entrance gate. And this is the courtyard view as seen from one of the towers.
I love this picture - it shows the way they have incorporated modern architecture to complement the original walls. This section is behind the brown portion of the exterior (seen above), and they have not replaced the floors, so this area is three stories high.
Another view of the partial restoration, with wonderful lighting. The dungeon, way down below!
The stairs going up one of the circular towers.
Two views from the tower, looking down over the town of Kolding.
I watched a video for a while of an artisan creating a tall silver bowl, starting with a flat piece of sterling - amazing!. This was my favorite piece in the silver room of the museum. You can even see me in the reflection.

No comments: