Saturday, August 14, 2010

Up and Down at Fjord's End

This is a view looking down at the far end of the fjord, with our ferry boat still at the dock. the picture was taken from the window of the bus as we climbed up the mountain. A view of the valley beyond the dock and the fjord's end.
This is the steep and winding road we traveled to get to the top of the mountain. The same valley as in the photo above can be seen in the distance. A beautiful day, crisp and clear.
This restaurant was about three-quarters of the way to the top. A very nice lunch, great views (including the one of the road seen above).
We traveled for a couple of miles along the top of the mountain. There were hundreds of little stone cairns everywhere along the side of the road, assembled by tourists and travelers, many of whom were hikers or bikers. The bus driver took a picture of me beside the one I made (unfortunately lost to posterity when I inadvertently reprogrammed by camera).
Coming down the other side of the mountain, we followed this rocky stream for many miles through the Sirdal Valley.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Ohhh, I am not a good one for heights and driving on hilly winding roads. But I suppose if I ever get to Norway, in order to see those beautiful scenes I'd take anxiety meds and go for it!