Friday, July 16, 2010

Scandinavia Vacation - First Day

Our trip to Scandinavia covered all four countries - Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland, for almost three weeks in May/June. I've winnowed down my hundreds of pictures to a reasonable few that I'll be showing on this blog during the next few weeks.

We started off in Norway, with a Lufthansa flight arriving in Stavenger (which I learned I had been mispronouncing - it is Sta-VEN-ger, with a hard G. Hazel Hilliard (tour leader) and Jonny Fosse (Norway site coordinator) brought us down to Klepp, a small town near the western coast, where we were to stay for the next four days at the Jaeren Folkehogskule. Folk schools are an option in Scandinavia for the fourth year of high school, where students can specialize in a great variety of programs.














A walk to the top of a nearby hill gave us some great views of the town and an inlet of the North Sea in the distance. This is a monument on that same hill that was erected to commemorate the 2000 millenium- it's placed on top of an unexcavated bronze age burial mound. That's me taking a photo of some sheep - we soon learned that these are everywhere, as are stone walls and rocky fields (even more of these than in New England).

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Even the clouds look beautiful in Norway.
I knew a woman from Norway years ago and learned that Norwegians pronounce Oslo, "Oosloo", which I think sounds much cooler!

S1 said...

Stone walls rule! We do some work in Stavenger (or somewhere nearby) so there may be a day I actually get to go out there!