Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Straubling and Knitting

We had a short time in Straubling, which turned out to be one of my favorite towns of the trip. Here is a view of the town as we approached it, taken from the window of the coach. It's surrounded by farm fields, mostly flat as we went inland from the Danube. Here's the reason I liked the town so much - the beautiful wide promenade, lined with shops and outdoor cafes, and filled with buckets of flowers. It was a lovely warm late afternoon, and we walked up and down, looking in windows and enjoying just being there.

And Mickey D's was there too!Lest I forget this is supposed to be a knitting blog, this is what I'm currently working on. It's a sleeveless vest, and I'm hoping I have enough yarn. I've shortened it a little from the pattern measurements and will eliminate the pockets, so I think I can scrape by. The pattern looks easy, doesn't it, but I can't tell you how many times I've ripped back because I did a purl instead of a knit or vice-versa. I've finally learned I can't do this pattern while reading a book! This is a project that I had put away for a while, but I'm going to finish it for a friend who has been diagnosed with extensive cancer. There are many knitting projects around for prayer shawls, which are made for and given to people will illnesses or other unhappy events, but I think my friend would rather have a prayer scarf. It will be bright and warm for the next two months of winter, and I will hope she has good healing thoughts when she wears it.

Next town up on the trip - Passau.












No comments: