Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's Snowing, So Let's Go to Germany

We've had about a foot of snow today, my car was almost completely buried in a drift, the shop didn't call me in to work so I'm assuming they closed for the day (good choice!), and I just woke up from a two-hour nap. Time to re-visit Regensburg.
Regensburg is an old town, originally a Roman garrison town guarding the Danube. Here's an ancient wall, with a more "modern" wall above it. Here's Hubster - not quite as old as the arch he's standing under. I love seeing these bits and pieces of antiquity absorbed into the modern town. There are several of these towers below built in the 14th century by medieval merchants anxious to protect their wealth.
And of course, here's the beautiful Gothic church. The main body of the church was halted in the 1500s, and the two spires at the front were actually not added until the 1800s.
Here are the gorgeous medieval windows - the colors are breathtaking. This tower is all that remains of the original Romanesque church built on this site, and it's incorporated into the newer Gothic building. (Use what you have!) Notice the scaffolding - I don't think we saw one church on the whole trip that didn't have some repair work going on.

I had to take a photo of this great iron door.
And of these old windows with tiny panes of glass and their flowerboxes.
This plaque was on the house that OsKar Schindler lived in (you remember the movie).

That's all for today - see you in Straubling next time. And one of these days, I'm going to have to post some knitting context. I Netflixed "Julie and Julia" last night (I really enjoyed it), but I'm not hoping someone will want to make a movie of this blog. Maybe I can think of some knitting challenge that will take me a year to complete - how about all the designs of Elizabeth Zimmerman, or my travels through lace, cables and Fair Isle. Never mind.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I've been enjoying your travelog. The US is such a youngster compared to Europe and its ancient sites.
That reminds me that I want to order J&J off Netflix too. Did you see the blogger has a new book; unfortunately it's about her unsavory life.