


First on the tour today is Strasbourg. We went to the Petit France district, the oldest in the city. It was built around the canals, and originally housed tanneries and prostitutes. It's gentrified now. The rest of the city was typically urban architecture and shops. They are very proud of their first large downtown shopping mall.
Next is Colmar, also in Alsace. Yes, the cathedral really is pink - it's sandstone and I took the picture to remember how much I didn't like the color. Most of the public buildings are this pink sandstone. But the housing in the older section is just wonderful - similar to Strasbourg with canals too.

When I look at these pictures again, I'm glad I have this evidence that we were actually there in these fairy tale cities. It was anachronistic that we found the people there in these medieval towns were just as concerned about the economic state of the world as we Americans were (and are). Sixty years ago they were more worried about being bombed out of existence, and fortunately were relatively undamaged.
Not much knitting to report this week - I'm finishing up Christmas presents and the recipients sometimes read this blog, so I can't make any mention of them.


No comments:
Post a Comment