Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Reunion and Remembrance

I had not seen my two friends (Betsey on the left and Cynthia on the right) for about 15 years. And wouldn’t you know, we still look just the same! Cy and I have written over the years and occasionally emailed – she lives in Nashville. A couple of months ago, I sent her a link to this blog – I thought she’d like to see pictures of my grown-up girl, who went to school with her grown-up girl. She told me she’d be coming up to Connecticut soon and we set a time to get together. Cy also invited Betsey, who is her ex-sister-in-law and really part of her family, and also my old-time friend. We had a fine time catching up on a lot of years, and had the waitress take this photo.

The last time (or maybe the next-to-the-last time) I visited Nashville and stayed with Cy, she took me to a little hole in the wall operated by a family of bluegrass singers – Hubert Davis and the Season Travelers. Hubie was the patriarch of the clan and he didn’t do much singing anymore. It was one of the best musical evenings I’ve ever had – such fun sitting on folding chairs on a cement floor, listening to the family perform lots of old-time favorites and some I’d never heard before too. I think all you could buy to snack on was popcorn and soda. I bought their tee-shirt and their tape cassette. Probably a collector’s item now, as I just went on Amazon and could not find any of their music.
Coming up next - more on the Germany trip. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you more at the guild meeting. You have some nice photos from your trip to Germany. The little boy outfit you got in NYC is adorable. About what year is it from?