Saturday, July 9, 2011

What Can I Make From This???

I blogged about this project a few weeks ago, but now it's finished and it's blog-worthy again. This is a 100% Talbot's cashmere sweater which I bought for $8.00 in a second-hand shop. I unstitched all the seams and then unraveled the whole thing - you can see the back and a sleeve here, and also the first ball wound. I decided it would be best to wind it into skeins first - here they are - 5 of them. Then I washed the skeins in Eucalan and hung them to dry.

Next, I wound them into balls. The yarn was so fine that I then rewound them, doubling the strands. Knit, knit, knit - from sweater to scarf. I decided on the Flutter scarf, hoping that the lacy pattern would hide some of the inevitable knots. This pattern required a provisional cast-on, so the scarf could be knit from the center outwards to the ruffle at each end. I had a terrible time with that, ripping out the cast-on and reknitting at least 5 times to get the lace pattern correct at the center. However, here's the finished result. And I still have enough cashmere for another project!The second what's-it project is the Baby Surprise sweater. It was fun to knit this all in one piece, which looks like absolutely nothing at all --- and then fold it into an actual sweater. I had two skeins of this pretty yarn, and this is all I had left. I actually had to leave off 3 rows on the center front and make crocheted-loop buttonholes because I was running so low on the yarn.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You did a marvelous job resurrecting the cashmere sweater as a scarf. I look forward to the second project you will make from it.
The Baby Surprise is adorable. I love making that pattern too.

cindy said...

Love the scarf! Lovely pattern and edging.