Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Koblenz

This is the pretty town of Koblenz. Here's a row of houses packed up onto the wall which protected the town from frequent Rhine river flooding.
And one of the ever-present church steeples peeking over the roofs. This was a courtyard and park - yes, that's a sculpture of a thumb. The medieval St. Castor Basilica can be seen in the background.
This is the courtyard of the Jesuit school.I love the creative mosaic tile decoration on this house. Love this pink house!I thought this house was a great blend of the best of old and new. An architect's office (I think) is in the modern extension of the old gatehouse. People still have a a right-of-way through the gate. We are here in the Ehrenbreistein Fortress - it is huge and I couldn't get a picture that captured it. The fortress is high on a hill on the other side of the river from Koblenz, and this view from one of the walls was the best part of being there. That is Koblenz spread out below, with the Moselle River coming down the center to meet with the Rhine in the foreground.Stay tuned for Aschaffenburg. Stay tuned for Aschaffenburg next.

No comments: