Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Adventures in Cashmere

I purchased a 100% cashmere sweater at a local antique shop for only $9.00, simply to rip it up. I thought I'd be able to use the yarn because I didn't like the sweater all that much. So I carefully pulled out the seam stitching and started frogging.I ended up with 5 balls of yarn, which I turned into skeins using Debbie's swift at the Knitting Retreat. This would have been a real project without that winder (thanks again, Debbie). Next step, wash the skeins to take out all the crinkles.Then rewind them into center-pull balls. I should have stopped at this point because the yarn was looking pretty good, but I decided that this cobweb-weight yarn was too thin to knit with so I decided to double it, using two balls together with the yarn-winder. Big mistake. There were quite a few knots overall in the yarn (couldn't be helped) and they tended to tangle up when unwinding, so I ended up with lots more knots in the final 2-ply yarn. This is the scarf, I'm planning to knit, which I think will be perfect for this blue cashmere. This may not happen for a while, as I have several other projects in the works first. Final note - this will be the last sweater I frog for yarn! Well, maybe I might unravel another one, but only if it were a heavier yarn - no more of this cobweb stuff for me.

1 comment:

calicokitty6 said...

Glad to help out with the winder. You did a fantastic job taking that sweater apart. The scarf pattern is perfect for the yarn. I can't wait to see it after you knit it.